Saturday, June 2, 2012

I Don't Understand

SPEAKING UP

 Try as she might, Dede can't explain some things to me.
It's not that I'm not trying to understand, it's just that it's hard and sad.
Maybe you know the answer.

We live in a wonderful country and it is filled with very nice people.
They seem to want to help everyone and make things better for them.
When I look around at the people I know,
that is their reason for being.
Dede adopted me to come and be with her and we have everything we need.
We have good food and a nice place to live. I have all the chicken gravy
that any Cat could ever want.
 Dede and I have talked about all of this
and sometimes we feel guilty because the Creator has given us so much
and others so little, but I know it's not the Creator's fault
that people are hungry and have no place to go.
Dede has explained to me that there ARE people who could make things
nicer for everyone. They are called the Congress.
Dede says the people of our country elected them to do a good job
and to make sure that we are all taken care of
and that no children will be hungry or sad or have no home.
So why are they doing all they can to keep people from having just
a bit of what THEY have?
That's why that song "Sons Of" makes me so sad.
I know it talks about war and young people dying,
but there are young people dying here, too.
It's just a different kind of war, but a war all the same.
Will we win the war? Will the people who can help us win it
do their part?
Dede is writing letters to the people in charge and I will write one, too.
I will urge them to help our people, especially the children.
Dede says they are ALL our children. They belong to all of us.
Will you write a letter and tell the people in charge to help them?
We are all they have left.
Dede says that this will be our mantra:
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."
Proverbs 31:8-9 (NIV, 1984)
Will you speak up with Dede and Me?
Love from Me. Mab.

2 comments:

  1. Yes Mab. Ellen tells me things like this, too. I don't think she writes as many letters as Dede, but she puts her paw print on lots of petitions and sends lots of emails. She says to save the children we need to feed and read, read and feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Dede is remiss in not telling you the fate of kittens like yourself, Mab. You and your siblings were lucky--you found homes. But there are thousands of other babies that never get a chance to have a life. People don't spay and neuter their animals and they run around breeding. Animal Control rounds them up but there isn't space in shelters and there aren;t enough groups that care about them.So they are KILLED simply for being alive. This includes cats and dogs, but where I live, 80% are cats. In the last week here two cats have been tortured by their owners and other cats have had to be taken away. There are many groups here to help children--we have a program called 'Blessings in a Backpack' that supplies food for kids over the weekend that might not get any otherwise. I do what I can to help the kitties here. But it's not just children that suffer, animals have their own share.

    ReplyDelete