OUR CHILDREN
All day on Memorial Day, Dede hummed or sang the words to "Sons Of".
I thought it was beautiful. (Well, not exactly the way Dede sang it,
but the tune and the words are beautiful, and Dede played it
for me on a CD she has.)
She explained to me that it is an anti-war song and I can tell by the words
that she is right.
I might as well be very truthful with you. I don't believe in war.
The problem is this:
there is a war going on right now in this country or at least there should be.
There should be a war on poverty.
Dede and John and I eat very well. So do most of the people we know,
but there are so many people in this country who don't eat well.
Many of them don't eat at all and many of them are children.
Dede says that our government is reducing the food stamp program
and that will make it hard for people to get food.
Why is this? I don't understand. Why would anyone make it hard to feed people?
The stores are full of it. I've seen the ads that Dede gets in the mail.
Why would anyone deny food to anyone, especially to children?
This is very troubling to me, but it is especially troubling to Dede.
She said something to me that I don't quite understand, but
I will think about it and know I will find its meaning.
She says that she thinks that ALL children are HER children.
She says that the children belong to ALL of us and
if we are to have a great future, we must ALL take care of them.
She says that if we don't consider each child as our own,
our country will no longer be great.
The music and poetry that is the heart of our country will die along with
the children.
I will think more about this and write more about it and I will try
to do something to help.
I like knowing that ALL of the children belong to ALL of us.
What can we do? I will think about it.
Love from Me. Mab.
No comments:
Post a Comment