Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Surviving New Braunfels

CHAPTER FOUR

SURVIVING NEW BRAUNFELS

Because we are very adaptable, Dede and I decided that we were going to like New Braunfels and be very happy there. We were proud that we had been asked to come and take care of Dede's Mommy. She seemed truly happy to see us, and while she didn't like Cats, I usually stayed at home while Dede went to take care of her. (It is hard for me to understand people who do not like Cats, but then, I'm not crazy about goggies either. There are also people I'm not overly fond of, so I suppose it all evens out.)
And then, we were in for a huge surprise.
Dede's Mommy called us and, with great excitement, told us that Dede's youngest brother was  coming back from Thailand to visit. Dede was very pleased because she had not seen him for some years.
Time moved on and it became evident that he was not just "visiting". He planned to stay and so Dede's Mommy told us that we could go back to California.

This was impossible at the time as we had spent all our funds coming to Texas, and we were now quite happy where we were. Dede had bought a three wheel bicycle which she road every day. She wanted me to come with her and ride in the basket, but I have an innate fear of anything with wheels. She would go each morning and drive by the apartments of her friends and pick up their mail on her way to the big apartment mail box.
These were old ladies and gentlemen who could not go to the mailbox on their own.
(I find it comical to talk about "old people" because Dede was in her 70's at the time and no spring chicken. I wonder what it's like not to have nine lives as I have. However, I might have used up one in that storm drain when drowning seemed possible. I must research that. But I digress.)

Time again moved on and Dede's Mommy had to have an emergency operation. She came through that very well, but seemed to begin to grow weaker each day, until finally, she moved on to whatever it is that humans call The Rainbow Bridge.
My GodCat and Dede's Godgranddaughter were there when Dede's Mommy left and they began to talk to us about moving back to California. We were not quite ready and, as I have said, were very happy were we were. John was doing well and we hated to keep moving him.

Soon, though we did come back to California and Deborah had found us a very nice apartment and we were thrilled with its location and its comfort. That is, until The Very Bad Man appeared. That was scary and terrible and I will write more about this part of my life soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment