Friday, May 25, 2012

THE CANCER SCARE (III)

    Our first stop was an appointment with the Primary Care Physician. Next, we had a mammogram and then we went home and waited. Very soon a letter arrived telling us that we must immediately come back to see the Primary Care Physician who told us what we already knew -- Dede had cancer. A biopsy and an ultrasound were ordered and performed. There was also a DEXA and an X-ray.  Next we met with the Surgeon and the Primary Care Physician again. Lab work was done. (Dede, who was always afraid of needles became quite blase about this and I was happy about that. I hate it when people faint all over the place!) Soon there was an MRI, and not the kind of MRI that most people have. This one was flat on her stomach for an hour with her arms above her head. She was told not to breathe deeply. (Dede told me later that it was the worst of all the things she had to do.)

Next, we returned to the Primary Care Physician, who sent us back for more lab work and to speak with the Surgeon. He informed us that we would have pre-op on a Tuesday and the surgery would happen on Friday at 10 a.m. After we saw the Surgeon, we went to see our Oncologist. All of these people were very supportive and wonderful and that helped us a lot. And so the big day arrived. Surgery was supposed to begin at 10 a.m. and before that there were X-rays and another ultrasound and finally, we were in an operating room and we don't remember anything after that, until we woke up and saw Deborah and Sarah. And then, we came home.

I am happy to report that Dede came through in fine style and with never any pain. Everyone says that Dede was very lucky. Luck had nothing to do with it. My Rules had worked and I feel very modest when I say, I am probably the Best Spiritual Guide on the Planet. Dede continued to improve, but there was still eight weeks of radiation. (continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment