My Life
My Life
Chapter One
I Am Born
(Because of the great interest in my life and activities, I promised to write of my early life and how I came to be the Cat I am today. And so, borrowing from Charles Dickens, I use the sentence, "I am born." {Dede says I have to always give credit to other people's work which seems, to me, rather useless as I would have used the sentence anyway. But I digress.}
I was born in a storm drain in Austin, Texas, during a particularly terrible week of storms, rain and thunder. Because I can be a rather pessimistic Cat, I believed that we would all drown, but my Mommy was a very intelligent Cat and she took us, one by one, to a spot in the drain where the water was not so deep. (Dragging me and my five brothers and sisters must have been quite difficult, but she was a determined Cat. I am proud to say that I have inherited that trait!).
Because there were so many of us, we were able to create quite a terrible cacophony (look it up! I will likely use many long and difficult words with which the ordinary person is not familiar. It will be to your advantage to keep some sort of word check close at hand when you read my writings. But I digress.)
After some hours of yowling, a kindly motorist stopped and put us all in a cardboard box and took us to her house. She was a very nice lady and had quite a supply of things that Cats like to eat. My Mommy was very grateful and offered to stay with her forever. She told the lady that we must all be kept together and the lady looked a bit taken aback, but said nothing. The next morning, after a substantial breakfast of Mother's milk and tuna, the kindly lady loaded all of us into a dry cardboard box and took us to a store where there were may other animals. They made terrible noises and I believe this is where I got my aversion to goggies. (You must learn that "doggies" are nice and I admit I have known a few. Not many. A few. But the rest of them are "goggies".)
Every month at the store, they held what were called "Adoption Days". People came and stared at us and at the other animals. (This was quite disconcerting, so I learned to stare back. This is where I developed my intense look which can be rather off putting, but keeps at bay people I don't want to know. They are legion. But I digress.) Then one day, at one of the Adoption events, I had had just about enough of the stares and comments and so I went to sleep in the litter box that had been provided in the cage by the Management.
My brothers and sisters continued to pander to the crowds (they looked like something out of "A Chorus Line" -- "choose me, choose me" -- not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not for me. If you want to be friends, fine. If not, meh! But again I digress.) Suddenly, the cage door opened and this person picked me up. She put me on her shoulder and I feigned sleep. I knew that if I cuddled and acted sweet like a real Cat, I would not have to return to that awful cage. I was correct! She said, "This is the one!" I opened one eye and saw this nice, albeit, easily manipulated person and two other souls. One was Sarah, my Godgranddaughter and Dede. Dede paid money, bought food and we went to Dede's apartment in New Braunfels, Texas.
In Chapter Two, I will recount my life in New Braunfels and my ride to California where Dede now lives with me. Thank you for your patience. Dede says I write too much, but I know of the great interest in my life, so Dede can go take a flying leap.
Love from Me. Mab.
No comments:
Post a Comment