CHAPTER TWO
MY NAME
Perhaps it would be well, before I tell of my adventures
in New Braunfels,
to explain my name, Mab.
(A number of people have asked me to explain the origins of my name.
It is lovely to have such interest expressed in my personal life.)
As soon as we arrived at my new apartment called
the Augusta,
there began an intense conversation as to what
a proper name for me would be.
While I explored the amenities of the apartment and
checked out my new litter box which was
certainly cleaner and more commodious than the one at the store,
the conversation continued.
Many names were suggested until, finally,
my GodCat, Deborah, said it should be something Celtic.
(Since I am a Maine Coon Cat, I am not certain why this should be,
but I did not engage in the conversation.
I suppose I could have told them that I already have a name.
My Mommy, who was a great fan of Russian novels,
named me Anna after Tolstoy's tragic heroine in
"Anna Karenina".
Her own name as Anastasia. She was beautiful and cultured
and from a very good family. I never knew my Father.
I think his name was Gus and I believe he was
an actor in a traveling tent show.
But I digress.)
Other names chosen for my brothers and sisters were
Sylphide (Mommy also loved Russian ballet. One of her favorites
was "The Nutcracker". She preferred the Moiseyev version.
I, on the other hand, prefer several American versions and
the one performed by the group from Covent Garden in London.
I especially like the one that has costumes by
Maurice Sendak, who has recently left us to go
"Where The Wild Things Are."
But I digress.)
One sister was named Sylphide, as I have said, and another named
Alexandra (called Sasha)
and my brothers were named
Leonide, Vronsky and Igor (after the Russian opera,
"Prince Igor".)
The name I was finally given is Mabina. I am often called
Queen Mabina. She was a Celtic Queen.
My name also echoes that wonderful speech in
"Romeo and Juliet".
Mercutio speaks of Mab, a Fairy Queen, and
he describes her beauty and elegance.
I personally like that one best.
One final remark: I have often read T.S. Eliot's poem,
"The Naming Of Cats".
His book about Cats was a childhood favorite of mine.
I, therefore, know that Cats can have more than one name.
So. Whether it is Anna, Queen Mabina or Mab,
I will answer (unless Dede persists in calling me
"Tweety", which I can only assume is a perversion
of the word "sweetie". I loathe it, but please
don't tell her.
It seems to make her so happy.
She is easily pleased and such a simple person.)
Next, I will write of my days in New Braunfels.
No comments:
Post a Comment